Director of Neighborhood Services (231) 592-4035
Neighborhood Services Coordinator (231) 592-4036
Mecosta County Building Department (231) 592-0105
Mission Statement -
Through vigorous and equitable enforcement of municipal zoning, building construction, and property maintenance codes, the Neighborhood Services Department shall follow a policy of maintaining and improving the safety and wellbeing of residents of the various neighborhoods in the community while simultaneously pursuing strategies to protect property values in those neighborhoods. In recognition of the importance of safe, stable neighborhoods, economic growth, and the natural environment, the Department shall further follow a policy of protecting the small town character of Big Rapids for the enjoyment and enrichment of all residents.
The Neighborhood Services Department has the following offices: Code Enforcement, Planning, Rental Inspections, and Zoning
The Department of Neighborhood Services includes the following functions and responsibilities:
- Providing technical support to the City Commission in matters pertaining to planning, zoning, building, and community development, and other specific subjects as directed by the City Commission or City Manager.
- Providing technical support to the planning commission and Zoning Board of Appeals.
- Administering the zoning ordinance.
- Administering the City's building, housing, and subdivision regulations and any other ancillary or related portions of the City Code as assigned by the City Manager.
- Maintaining and updating the plans and regulations administered by the Department, and others at the direction of the City Manager.
- Conducting zoning, and other regulatory inspections as required by the City Code or the City Manager.
- Discovering and pursuing grants and other funding opportunities for the City.
- Providing information to the general public on the subjects of planning, zoning, subdivision regulations, and building codes within the functions of the Department.